4 Ways I Teach My Daughter To Love Her Natural Hair JENELL B STEWART

Through my journey I’ve learned so many things about caring for natural hair and most importantly I’ve learned a great deal about loving my natural hair.
As a mom with a daughter who has natural hair I am so excited about teaching her to love her natural hair.
Here are the 4 ways I’ve taught my daughter Elle to love her natural hair.

REPRESENTATION IN HER TOYS

Buying our daughters toys that have a similar hair texture to their own is a great way to teach them to love their hair because girls love their dolls. Girls spend lots of time playing and pretending with their dolls often times idolizing and loving their dolls. As our children grow their sense of self begins to develop and the more she sees herself in her dolls the stronger her sense of self love. In the video below you will see a few of the dolls with natural hair that Elle loves.

REPRESENTATION IN HER BOOKS

We purchase lots of books for our children and whenever I find a book with characters who have natural hair I grab it right away. In the video below you will see a few of the books featuring natural hair characters including a special favorite about the natural hair wash day.

REPRESENTATION IN HER FAMILY

Elle is so fortunate to have a mom, aunts, grandmothers and multiple family members who are natural because we are Elle’s first role models. If the women she loves and admires are all beautiful with natural hair Elle will appreciate her natural beauty even more.

PARTICIPATION IN HER NATURAL HAIR ROUTINE

On a daily basis Elle participates in her hair style choices. She selects her headbands, barrettes, products and makes her own choices about how she wants me to style her hair. I want Elle to not only love her hair but know how to style her hair so that she can truly embrace her natural hair.
My video was a collaboration with blogger Sola of Discovering Natural. Check out her video where she and her daughter discuss how much she loves her natural hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.. We cherish it...